Saturday, March 20, 2010

Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome Related to where you are from?

I was on Samantha Heller's Radio Show yesterday talking about IBS and a caller asked me if there was a geographic relationship to the prevelance of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I was stumped. Its a great question because there is a geographic relationship for Crohn's disease: it tends to occur in Urban and Northern areas. So I looked it up. As far as I can tell, the answer is not known. Although IBS is quite prevalent throughout the world (there are studies from Peru, India and Iran that I reviewed), there is no study looking at whether being from a rural area is more (or less) protective than being from an urban area.

If anyone knows of any other research that I may have missed, feel free to leave me a comment with a link.

We will definitely being doing more IBS on the show in the future.

No comments: