Sunday, November 6, 2011

Monday, November 7th,2011 on the Doctor Ira Breite Show on SiriusXM 81: Doctor Radio!


I hope everyone is having a good day. The American College of Gastroenterology Meetings are over. We have lots of new GI news to talk about from these meetings. This is also my first post on my new computer, with its new (improved?) keyboard and trackpad instead of a mouse. I'm not sure I like it better, but it does bring to mind how various workplace issues that seem minor can have a profound effect. And some of the topics we are talking about show the same thing in caring for patients with digestive disease.

Starting with music. When I do procedures such as colonoscopies, we often have music playing in the background. I often ask patients what they want to hear: their inevitable response is "whatever makes you work better!" But what if what made me work better was not something I particularly wanted to hear: what if it was, well, Mozart? Join me and Dr. David Wolf, a Gastroenterologist at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston and Dr. Noelle O'Shea, A GI Fellow there, as we talk about their new study on the "Mozart Effect" and colonoscopy polyp detection.

What was going on in the room right before you had your colonoscopy? Call us at 1-877-NYU-DOCS!

Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a vexing problem for doctors and patient's alike. Its cause is unclear and it can be difficult to treat. Join me and Dr. Yuri Saito-Loftus of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, as we talk about her new study looking at the link between psychological issues, trauma and the development of IBS that she just presented at the ACG meeting. Dr. Saito-Loftus is a member of the Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research (CENTER) Program at Mayo as well.

IBS? Call us with your questions at 1-877-NYU-DOCS!

I don't "do" my nails. Heck, I have so little hair I hardly get it cut anymore. But are you at risk for infectious diseases from getting your nails done? Can you get hepatitis? Join me and former ACG President Dr. David Johnson as we talk about studies presented at the ACG talking about just that!

Call us with any questions about personal safety and beautification at 1-877-NYU-DOCS

We will end the show with Ask Doctor Ira, where you can ask me any questions on any medical topic at all give me a call at 1-877-NYU-DOCS! Anything you forgot to ask your doctor: ask me!

Follow me on twitter at @doctorira




No comments: