Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Doctor Ira Breite's Sirius Radio Show For July 7, 2008


I hope everybody is doing well. We had another exciting show on Monday, which is pretty amazing considering that everybody had really enjoyed the 3 day weekend (I took 4, to be honest). We discussed some

I started the show talking about Headaches. Everybody has them, but what to do about them. Joining me on the phone was neurologist Alexander Mauskop, MD, the head of the NY Headache Center. I learned a lot about the use of magnesium to treat migraines, and so did the audience. There were several really good calls.

We then switched gears a bit, to another chronic problems that is a silent killer. Hypertension is extremely common (I read in preparing the segment that almost 1.5 Billion people worldwide are expected to have this disease soon). Joining us to talk about some of the latest strategies to treat it, including ambulatory and home blood pressure monitoring, was Dr. Henry Black, a Professor here at NYU-Langone Medical Center and also the President of the American Society of Hypertension. Henry was kind enough to join us from vacation (that is dedication!). He answered many of my questions, and also took calls from our listeners.

After the break, we tried a new segment: "Ask Dr. Ira" where I answered calls and emails from our listeners on any topic that you forgot to ask your doctor. It was a bit like being in my office, where the questions can come from anywhere and you have to be ready! It was actually a lot of fun, probably because it WAS a lot like being in my office!

Finally, back to fitness. I had on regular guest Mike Levinson, the author of Buff Dad: The 4-Week Fitness Game Plan for Real Guys, and a registered dietitian. Mike answered my questions and listeners questions on exercise equipment and picking which machines to use in a gym. I have been trying his advice to switch aerobic machines around and its been good so far!

No comments: