Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Doctor Ira's Sirius Doctor Radio Show for July 28th, 2008


Yesterday, my show revolved around my recent trip to Maine to visit my elder child at camp. those of you who don't think that a doctor show and a 3 day driving trip aren't related clearly haven't spent 7 hours in a car wondering about all of the aches, pains and headaches.  And needing a few days off is something almost all of us feel.

We started the show talking about the mental health of vacations.  My first guest was Dolores Malaspina, MD, who is the Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry here at the NYU-Langone Medical center.  We spoke about the mental benefits of even a short vacation, and how the brain really does need a chance to recharge.  Joining us on the line was Pauline Frommer, of the famous and quite good guidebooks, who gave us some good ways to get away without spending too much! 

Then, it was time to talk about diet.  Since I had done nothing but eat fried food and tasty crustaceans during my trip, I needed to lose some weight.  And there was a really interesting publication in the New England Journal of Medicine showing that a low carbohydrate diet, or a Mediterranean Diet, may lead to more sustained weight loss than a traditional "low fat" diet.  I spoke with Sari Greaves, RD, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association and "Ira Breite Show" regular, about this.

After spending all of my time in Maine running around with my child, pretty much all of my joints ached.  Fortunately I (and the listeners) were able to ask questions from one of the Country's experts on knee and shoulder injuries: Dr. Andrew Feldman, the head physician of the New York Rangers Hockey Team (GO RANGERS!)  Dr. Feldman answered many questions on knee injuries: some of his advice was so great that I immediately started using it in my own internal medicine practice!

Finally, it was time for the "Ask Dr. Ira" segment.  As usual, listeners called in with their problems, which I answered to the best of my ability.  Just like my real job, only in public!


No comments: